Umi Monogatari

Go down

Umi Monogatari

Post by Demon on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:21 am

So I put this under Goggles because the canon pairing is one of the shrine maidens with their ex-ish boyfriend. However, one of the two main girls tells their partner "I love you!" so many times that it's hard to not let my yuri fangirl adjust her goggles and chuckle indulgingly. ("Blah, blah, blah friendship." Let a girl dream. >_>)

Yes, it's a magical girl anime (What? Demon watching a magical girl anime?! Yes.), but it doesn't focus that much on the magical girl episodes and the illistrators have mercifully kept the transformation sequences under twenty seconds. It focuses mostly on inter-personal relationships between the main characters and how they grow as people, and with twelves episodes of absolutely no fillers, it's interesting to watch. (The final arc (finale) begins episode six; see, no fillers.) Very subtly and smoothly the anime turns from light and bubbly to dark and dramatic; very nice pacing.

I admit I had to push myself through some parts, but when I finally learn what the "big evil" is all along, I had to say that I was pleasently surprised about how subtly complex it was. Nothing Earth-shattering, but it was a nice twist and it's obvious that the writers put in a little extra effort that the standard villains.

All in all, it's not an awesome anime, but it had a nice twist at the end (intertwined a little with some "moral message"), the animation was good and the characters were enjoyable. =)

"I love you, Kanon!" Tehee! X3

Edit: There's apparently a bonus episode, an episode thirteen. Well, I'll be checking this out now...

Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Umi Monogatari

Post by shanejayell on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Hmm. Recent? Because it don't sound familiar... might look it up.
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 am

Thoughts on it?
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content