Could someone explain Agnostic to me?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Could someone explain Agnostic to me?

Post by Demon on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:16 am

*Do not start any religion fights. I'm merely asking for the definition.*

I tried to look it up on wikipedia, but I kept getting confused. I know it has to do with believing that there is a deity, or something rather, is there looking over us, or just observing us, but we'll never know what it is.

I don't know if I got it wrong, and I also know that there's more to it than that. Could someone try and explain it to me? I'd like to know a bit more than that before I decide if I'm agnostic or not.
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Could someone explain Agnostic to me?

Post by Kagu on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:00 am

I'll give this a shot, I guess. Defining religions isn't really my thing, but I've had enough time to wander around and think about it.

The first version (and probably least helpful one) that I learned from my then-Roman-Catholic mother (waaaaay back when I was but a wee child) was "An agnostic is a person who used to believe in God, but doesn't anymore."

Wikipedia wrote:
In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves there is a God, whereas an atheist disbelieves in God.[2] In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify knowledge of whether God does or does not exist.

There really isn't a set definition for agnosticism; it's like viewing different sects or denominations within a certain religion (ex: "Christian" can apply to Roman-Catholics, Irish-Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Presbyterians, etc., even though they each have their own views on how the Bible is to be interpreted as well as different rituals for their own denomination.) The over-arching theme for Agnosticism is something along the lines of "Well, maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't. I won't deny either possibility."

I personally subscribe to something along the lines of the "popular sense" in the quote above -- I believe there is a higher power, but it's not "God" like the God of Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) nor is it any other of the "named" deities in any particular religion (Shiva, Odin, Nix, etc.) There's a higher power at work and that's all I care to believe. I don't have to prove one exists, nor do I want to.

(Not to detract from my post, but keep in mind that there really is no right answer. If it comes down to it, you don't need to define yourself if you don't want to. Smile

Also it's 3 AM and I should really be asleep, so I apologize if I didn't end up answering your question the way you wanted it answered. Feel free to drop me a PM or yell at me to get on Skype if you ever wanna just discuss this kinda stuff. :3)

Kagu
Itty Bitty Kagu Committee

View user profile http://dytlm.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Huh, interesting. I guess by that definition I'd be Agnostic. Cool.
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I disagree with what Kagu personally subscribes to. That sounds more like a deist, which is what I consider myself.

Wikipedia wrote:Deism (i/ˈd.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈd.ɪzəm/) in religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator.

Many people consider Agnostics to be people who ride the fence, such as Kagu quoted, "Well, maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't. I won't deny either possibility." This is somewhat true, but really, someone who is Agnostic, isn't someone who 'won't deny either possibility', more so than someone who has come to the conclusion that it is impossible to know either way. For those wondering the difference, the difference is the first makes the person sound unsure and gives the impression that they could swing either way, while the latter is someone who is sure of their unsureness. It's the difference of answering, "I don't know" versus "I can't know"
Blair Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 am

Thanks for answered you guys! X3

I spent about three hours on Skype with Blair and we came to the conclusion that I'm Spiritual Agnostic. XD
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top