Lesbian Novels?

Go down

Lesbian Novels?

Post by Demon on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:42 am

Does anyone know of any good published lesbian novels? I've been in the mood to read something along those lines, and I thought I'd be good to have a book list of recommended titles to look through.

Right now I have Fingersmith that I haven't opened yet, but think I'm going to start soon.

If you have a book to add here for others to check out, please put both the title and a little summary. =)
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesbian Novels?

Post by RGigantea on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 am

oranges are not the only fruit - pretty much a classic, but for a good reason. the main character's emotions are well written, and it's like a coming out story stretching from her childhood til adulthood. good literature book too, if you're up for the thematic stuff and underlying thread sort of thing.

tipping the velvet - you may have seen the bbc (?) series, but the book, i reckon, is much better. young, slightly naive girl grows up and dabbles in some wildness and then finds true love sort of story. same author as fingersmith.
RGigantea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks, Gig! ^^

No, I haven't seen the BBC series, not even the Fingersmith TV show, but if I like the book, I'll check them out. =)
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Alma Rose by Edith Forbes is quite good. I also liked Rita May Brown's earlier books, tho you could skip her mystery novels.

What sort of genre are you looking for? Romance, Mystery, SF?
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 am

Anything actually; I want this to be a list anyone can use if they want to. ^^
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, there's the small press publishers:

http://www.boldstrokesbooks.com/
Bold Strokes does both gay & lesbian fiction. Bit pricey, but some good authors there. I'd suggest trying Radclyfe, Julie Cannon, Georgia Beers, Gina Dartt. JD Glass and Ali Vali.

http://www.bellabooks.com/
Bella Books has been around a long time and has a very large catalog of lesbian fiction. There are WAY too many good authors there to list, but I've read good books by Gerri Hill, Karin Kallmaker, Kenna White, Tracey Richardson, Saxon Bennet and many others.

http://www.regalcrest.biz/books.php
Regal Crest is a smaller publisher that carries lesbian fiction. Fanfiction fans like them because they publish several fanfiction writers who went into novels, like Melissa Good.
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 am

Wow, thanks Shane! Maybe I'll look into these guys when I finally want to publish a work of my own!
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Do you want to read novels online too?

Academy of bards has a IMMENSE amount of novel length fanfiction & original work. Quality varies a lot, however.
http://www.academyofbards.org/authors/

Several of Radclyffe's early books are readable here in a 'early draft' form.
http://www.academyofbards.org/authors/radclyffe.html

Blayne Cooper is also quite good.
http://www.academyofbards.org/authors/advocate_tnovan.html

Melissa Good is pretty good too,
http://www.merwolf.com/ffiction.html#dk
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:40 am

I'm more prone to reading stuff online so these sites area great too. =) Truthfully, I'll probably check these places out first, and FictionPress.com, before reading tangable books.
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chibi Tortuga on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Aimee & Jaguar: A Love Story, Berlin 1943 by Erica Fischer (Author), Edna McCown (Translator)

Sadly I've only seen the movie but that was because it was readily available. It was a good movie but I hear the book is good too! It's a real-life love story! I forgot how I came across it though...
Chibi Tortuga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 am

Chibi Tortuga wrote:Sadly I've only seen the movie but that was because it was readily available. It was a good movie but I hear the book is good too!

Should a movie thread also be made?

---

I've been browsing Barnes & Noble for some lesbian fiction recently. The selection is... eh. ^^; If I find a good book to read, I'll post it here.
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah, most of the big chain stores don't have much for lesbian novels. Try your public library catalog under 'lesbian fiction' you might be surprised.

Ellen Hart is a 'mainstream' novelist who does a lesbian mystery series that's pretty good. Katherine Forrest and Laurie R King also have mystery series starring lesbian characters.

*thinks*

Black Blade Blues by JA Pitts was pretty good, too.
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 am

Heh, my "public library" is a small military air force base. XD I could try to find manga off base, but the closest bookstore outlet didn't have any English translation, and the only homosexual section they had was BL. I couldn't find any yuri section. =/
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RGigantea on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:19 am

Bookdepository is a pretty excellent place for lgbt books. Smile other than amazon.
RGigantea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona on Tue May 15, 2012 7:04 am

Annie on my Mind. How could anyone forget this classic in lesbian literature~

There's also a ton more by the same author and others xD

-Good Moon Rising.
-Keeping You A Secret
-er, and now a brain fart. xD

But yeah, a crap ton of good ones out there. x3 I highly suggest the three I mentioned, though. x3
MidnightPersona
Resident HaruKino Fanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RGigantea on Sat May 26, 2012 3:27 am

Just read rubyfruit jungle. It's a light one-shot read. Smile

Another recent read is kissing the witch - lots of hype online but I don't get the hype. There's lots of better fanfiction out there than the stories in the book.
RGigantea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Tue May 29, 2012 5:45 am

I haven't been able to buy any novels because I don't have the luxury of spending my money that way, but! I have found a couple novels online. That said, they're both rough drafts of novels being sold, so I can't promise quality, but I still enjoyed reading them.

Victorian Era

Frederica and the Viscountess: http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/b/barbaradavies_frederica1.html

Old Wild Western
Innocent Hearts: http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/r/radclyffe_innocenthearts.html

As you can see, they're both from "Academy of Bards," so I'm thinking of checking that site out a bit more. =)
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DezoPenguin on Tue May 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Demon wrote:
Victorian Era

Frederica and the Viscountess: http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/b/barbaradavies_frederica1.html

Slight correction; that one's a Regency. Which actually makes it a heck of a lot of a rarer find. Very Happy
DezoPenguin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie on Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 am

Keep in mind this is young adult and you're more than likely going to criticize everything about it,BUT try reading Keeping you a Secret [i] by Julie Ann Peter I believe.

I read this in 6th grade when I was struggling with my sexuality and this book made me feel like I wasn't alone or a freak or a second class citizen in society for being gay.

If you can read it knowing some people are inspired by it then you'll probably enjoy it. On the other hand if you're the type of person who analyzes everything and criticizes everything they read to the point where NOTHING is good enough for you, then don't bother.

(the reason I say this is because I'm aware most people on here write fanfic or beta and in their opinion,EVERYTHING is awful ie writing style, idea, tying everything in, grammar, the fandom)
Rosie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 am

DezoPenguin wrote:
Demon wrote:
Victorian Era

Slight correction; that one's a Regency. Which actually makes it a heck of a lot of a rarer find. Very Happy

And what, pray tell, is Regency? :3

Moonstone wrote:Keep in mind this is young adult and you're more than likely going to criticize everything about it,BUT try reading Keeping you a Secret [i] by Julie Ann Peter I believe.

I read this in 6th grade when I was struggling with my sexuality and this book made me feel like I wasn't alone or a freak or a second class citizen in society for being gay.

If you can read it knowing some people are inspired by it then you'll probably enjoy it.

Seems like an awesome story if it inspired people! I'll check it out, thanks Moon. ^^
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DezoPenguin on Wed May 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Demon wrote:
DezoPenguin wrote:
Demon wrote:
Victorian Era

Historically, it's the time period from 1811-1820 when King George III's insanity had gotten too bad for him to properly act as king, and so his son, the Prince of Wales served as Prince Regent. This is the era which gave us the Napoleonic Wars, the waltz, Lord Byron, Frankenstein, Jane Austen, and so on. In terms of literature, it's best known as the home of the subgenre known as Regency romances (first popularized by Georgette Heyer), which tend to be romantic comedies of manners (whether more romance or more comedy varies widely) a la Austen. Dress, manners, slang, institutions, and social conventions all tend to be somewhat different from the much longer Victorian era. (It's also been a favorite setting of mine ever since I read Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer back when I was in high school, so I rather pounced on Frederica when I saw it for sale.)
DezoPenguin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Thu May 31, 2012 1:52 am

DezoPenguin wrote:
Demon wrote:
DezoPenguin wrote:
Demon wrote:
Victorian Era

Historically, it's the time period from 1811-1820 when King George III's insanity had gotten too bad for him to properly act as king, and so his son, the Prince of Wales served as Prince Regent. This is the era which gave us the Napoleonic Wars, the waltz, Lord Byron, Frankenstein, Jane Austen, and so on. In terms of literature, it's best known as the home of the subgenre known as Regency romances (first popularized by Georgette Heyer), which tend to be romantic comedies of manners (whether more romance or more comedy varies widely) a la Austen. Dress, manners, slang, institutions, and social conventions all tend to be somewhat different from the much longer Victorian era. (It's also been a favorite setting of mine ever since I read Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer back when I was in high school, so I rather pounced on Frederica when I saw it for sale.)

Thanks for that, Dezo! Seems I need to study up more on time periods. XD
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down