Bodacious Space Pirates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bodacious Space Pirates

Post by DezoPenguin on Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Seriously, Demon, how is it you're not watching this one? Wink

Based on the light novel series Miniskirt Space Pirates, with its title changed for the anime adaptation (the Japanese name is Moretsu Pirates; Bodacious Space Pirates is the Gratuitous English subtitle which was picked up by the English-language licensors as its English title), this series focuses on Marika Kato, high-school student, who learns that the father-she-never-knew has died and that she's inherited his position as the captain of the pirate ship Bentenmaru.

(Technically, it's not a pirate ship, it's a privateer, since it holds a Letter of Marque from the planetary government. One for which Marika needs to get her butt out and do some piracy in a hurry or it will expire...)

The strengths of the series include strong characters, surprisingly hard SF, a near-total lack of exploitative fanservice (I nearly wept with joy when the yacht club girls were floating around in zero G wearing school uniforms and not a panty shot was to be found...and it's a depressing comment on the state of anime today that I had that reaction...), a good sense of humor, and Marika's creativity and intelligence. Weaknesses include a lack of action (don't expect the Bentenmaru to be blasting it out with enemy ships in epic space battles), and a general lightness of tone (which is fine, but if you want deep, serious, gut-wrenching angst and moral crises, you're not getting that here). Whether you consider the amount of screen time Marika's yacht club classmates get vis-a-vis the pirate crew will largely depend on your tolerance for sheer concentrated awesome.

For most of the series, yuri goggles do not have to be on very tightly to see Chiaki going tsundere for Marika or Gruier's terminally obvious crush on her, but in the third major arc, the show moves firmly into the "Definitely Yuri" category when...

Spoiler:
Yacht club president Lynn recruits the Bentenmaru to help rescue former club president Jenny Dolittle from an arranged marriage, and it becomes immediately obvious that Lynn and Jenny are a couple. Little clues like, y'know, them actually proclaiming that they're in a relationship together in front of everybody and on-screen kissing. Very Happy Jenny does not take a lot of rescuing, incidentally, seeing as how she pulls a gun from under her wedding dress, shoots her way out, and runs off with an experimental recon craft to meet the rescuers halfway. Cool

As an added bonus, it's streaming at Crunchyroll, and has been licensed for North American release by Sentai. Very Happy
DezoPenguin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bodacious Space Pirates

Post by Demon on Wed May 30, 2012 11:34 am

DezoPenguin wrote:Seriously, Demon, how is it you're not watching this one? Wink

Well, I watched three episodes of it and... didn't continue because I couldn't feel any suspence from the characters. With something like pirates, even space pirates, I expected a little more... heart-racing action? But everyone was oddly mellow in the face of... well, everything. Basically:

Her: It seems I'm the daughter of an infamous space pirate.
Them: Huh, that's cool.
Her: Y-yeah... but while we're up here... we're probably going to be targeted.
Them: Oh, really? That's mildly irritating-oh! It seems we're being attacked now.
Her: But the ship doesn't feel like it's being attacked?
Them: Oh, yeah. It's just the system. We're being attacked in cyber space.
Her: Oh. Hm. I guess I'll sit down in this chair and deal with it.
Them: We'll help. There's not much else we can do anyway.
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DezoPenguin on Wed May 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Demon wrote:
DezoPenguin wrote:Seriously, Demon, how is it you're not watching this one? Wink

Well, I watched three episodes of it and... didn't continue because I couldn't feel any suspence from the characters. With something like pirates, even space pirates, I expected a little more... heart-racing action? But everyone was oddly mellow in the face of... well, everything. Basically:

Her: It seems I'm the daughter of an infamous space pirate.
Them: Huh, that's cool.
Her: Y-yeah... but while we're up here... we're probably going to be targeted.
Them: Oh, really? That's mildly irritating-oh! It seems we're being attacked now.
Her: But the ship doesn't feel like it's being attacked?
Them: Oh, yeah. It's just the system. We're being attacked in cyber space.
Her: Oh. Hm. I guess I'll sit down in this chair and deal with it.
Them: We'll help. There's not much else we can do anyway.

The wiseacre in me would say that that's because when you have that much concentrated badassery in one crew it's hard to get all panicky over getting attacked, but I tend to make a fair number of smart-aleck remarks about Jenny and the Yacht Club. Very Happy (Seriously, just look at the Nebula Cup arc--they're not only badass; they've been badass for at least six years to the point where it starts making other schools' yacht clubs guilty for not measuring up!)

(First rule of Yacht Club: You do not frag with the Yacht Club.)

That said, you're completely right; there's definitely not a lot of white-knuckled, high-tension action in the series, and most problems get outthought rather than outfought. If you're looking for high-octane action, you're not going to find it here...but as a yuri fan, you ought to at least stop in for eps. 16-18.
DezoPenguin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon on Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 am

DezoPenguin wrote:but as a yuri fan, you ought to at least stop in for eps. 16-18.

Alright, I'll stop in for episodes 16-18. Maybe that will drag me in.

I dunno, I guess when I hear "pirates," I'm hoping for large swashbuckling adventures and epic duels and that kind of thing. Mellow characters don't really draw me in. =/
Demon
The Alter Ego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RGigantea on Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 am

Gonna get on crunchy roll to watch this! Definitely sounds interesting.
RGigantea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragontiger96 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I was personally disappointed by the series because the title promised an ecchi filled fanservice-esque type series where it turned out to be more like a generic coming-of-age story, and the story wasn't compelling enough to keep me on past the 6th episode.

dragontiger96

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 am

I thought it was pretty good, but I'm more of a hard SF fan. Very Happy
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content