Gatekeepers 21

Go down

Gatekeepers 21

Post by Blair Phoenix on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:05 pm

GK21 is a 6 episode OVA sequel to the series Gatekeepers. Unlike the original however, GK21 differs in a few key areas, those being GK21 has a badass main character, a more dark and serious tone, and of course a dash of yuri subtext!

What does this entail you ask? Well not only is the villain, Ghost Girl played by the lovely Mamiko Noto, give off the classic evil lesbian villain vibes, even managing to nab a kiss from our sleeping/unconscious protagonist, but there is the rocky but growing relationship between the two leads Ayane and Miu that culminates in them working together to fly a motorcycle to the top of a giant mecha for the final confrontation with the villain...and yeah I just wanted to say that XD. In the end, goggles are needed, and the payoff isn't great, but it's still noticeably there imo.

Even without the hint of yuri, GK21 is most certainly a favorite of mine it always disappoints me a little how much this series is overlooked. With the original not being needed to understand GK21's story, and it being quite a short series at 6 episodes, I most definitely recommend you give this a try for those looking for a series with a light tint of yuri.

Blair Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gatekeepers 21

Post by Goggles on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:37 am

Oh my god! So I am not the only one who:
1: Liked this series
2: Saw the Yuri (back then I didn't know what yuri was)
3: thought Ghost girl was a total creeper

I love this series. The ditz is voiced (in english) by Kari Whalgreen. Heck the entire English (And from what I have heard the Japanese) cast is awesome. I give it a +5 and highly recommend it.
Goggles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:59 am

Goggles wrote:Oh my god! So I am not the only one who:
1: Liked this series
2: Saw the Yuri (back then I didn't know what yuri was)
3: thought Ghost girl was a total creeper

I love this series. The ditz is voiced (in english) by Kari Whalgreen. Heck the entire English (And from what I have heard the Japanese) cast is awesome. I give it a +5 and highly recommend it.
Pretty much the same reaction lol. "OMG Someone else has seen and liked this series?!". And yeah I didn't see it back then either, I just thought the ending was badass. Second time I saw it, and was more into yuri, I totally felt it though *nods*

I just love the fact that Ayane's japanese VA is the same VA who plays Pikachu in Pokemon. Freaking hilarious considering...
Blair Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Goggles on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:03 am

Yes it is. Um. . . the sword chick. . .Satoka Tachikawa. She is voiced by Sakura Nogawa who is Shiho of all things. The first series was okay. . . a bit to SJ for me. I liked 21 the best. . . And for some reason i am reminded of Lain...
Goggles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:07 am

Goggles wrote:Yes it is. Um. . . the sword chick. . .Satoka Tachikawa. She is voiced by Sakura Nogawa who is Shiho of all things. The first series was okay. . . a bit to SJ for me. I liked 21 the best. . . And for some reason i am reminded of Lain...
No wai! D: She's SHIHO?! That's some crazy stuff right there >.>

I enjoyed the first series, but I think 21 blows it out of the water. Still sad to see the original doesn't get much love either though, it's just one of those series I would have figured would have had a bigger fanbase, but nope, nothing.
Blair Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Goggles on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:12 am

Yeah she is also Kaorin In azumanga daioh, Okuwaka Tsubom in Strawberry Panic, Erica Hartmann in strike witches. . . hey do you see a pattern here?

And yeah. Chotoro Banba was awesome. A lot of the Pioneer franchises aren't that big over here
Goggles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:23 am

LOVED Gatekeepers & 21. Hell, I even wrote fanfic on it. *lol* I actually felt... kinda sorry for Ghost Girl. But that;s me.
shanejayell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 pm

shanejayell wrote:LOVED Gatekeepers & 21. Hell, I even wrote fanfic on it. *lol* I actually felt... kinda sorry for Ghost Girl. But that;s me.
Yush, you have one of the three yuri Gatekeepers 21 fics on FF.net lol. Ghost Girl....yeah, what she wanted was simple enough, she just went about it in all the wrong ways...I did like Mamiko Noto's performance as her though. Just that little bit of creepiness.
Blair Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum