Dare You to Love Me
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

+3
shanejayell
EsotericWhim
shezaei_neko
7 posters

Go down

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... Empty Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

Post by shezaei_neko Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Well, its been some years since this series was aired in Japan.
Believe it or not it was a hit and got a considerable fandom.
Maybe some of you have watched and thought: 'goodgod! Could it have more fanservice or what?' (of course you thought this sarcastically).
I agree that the sight of girls being pantless while flying with the help of strange devices in a WWII like setting fighting aliens doesn't sound too appealing.

BUT, there are some points that make this series enjoyable.
Probably the most important of all as yuri fans would be the subtext. There are some couples that you just wish they would be officially announced as canon.

I really recomment this series and open this thread so anyone can discuss and comment more about this anime. (which will be having a movie next year)

shezaei_neko
shezaei_neko

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... Empty Re: Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

Post by EsotericWhim Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 am

I actually rather disliked this series for most of the reasons that you listed above. Gratuitous nudity, panty shots, underage girls and odd mecha just does not get negated by the presence of yuri in my eyes. Although obviously there are some people who disagree.

Watched a few episodes and had to stop.
EsotericWhim
EsotericWhim

Back to top Go down

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... Empty Re: Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

Post by shanejayell Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:38 pm

I thought it was reasonably funny. *lol
shanejayell
shanejayell

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:04 pm

That one shy, blonde, bosomous girl reminded me of Erstin from Mai Otome. (Gee, I wonder why? But she has a huge gun. <3) Anyway, I liked that girl with Saki. =)

The katana girl's laugh was hilarious though and always got me giggling. <3
Demon
Demon
The Alter Ego

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei_neko Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Sakamoto Mio is the girl with the katana.
If you like Chiba Saeko (who is Natsuki's seiyuu), then I see why you like her laugh. It's the same actress. ^_^

I'd like to add some points in favor of this series. (and I have mentioned them in other forums). The one I find the most interesting one is that all the girls are based in REAL ace pilots from WWII. Unfortunately unless you dive more into the franchise you won't know this kind of info.
Also other details that are not shown in the series, only in CD Dramas or the novels.
What I also liked is that most of the 'Strike Units' (which are the devices they use on their legs) are based too on real airplanes from WWII. As well as her uniforms and other accesories.

There's a huge background on the story, sadly the pantless girls distract you from it so you never can give it a chance.

I'm not a huge fan of military stuff but I do like it when there are certain references from real stuff in an anime. ^^
shezaei_neko
shezaei_neko

Back to top Go down

Post by deathcurse Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

I liked the series well enough, but I know that many people were disappointed by the lack of major plot development in the second season. I watched the show for the characters and the concept (throwing ace pilots of many nationalities together in a mixed fighter wing), so I enjoyed both seasons ^_^. It was neat to see in a show about a group that not everyone has to like each other! Some of the girls were clearly closer to each other than with the others, and that felt quite realistic to me.

For those who just want lots of yuri, episode 6 of both seasons were about the pretty-much-canon couple Sanya and Eila, and were really sweet Very Happy. And episode 9 had a couple of suggestive moments too ^^.

If you're able to mentally filter out the fanservice like I do, then I'd say that it's a series that is fairly enjoyable when focusing on the good parts.

deathcurse

Location : Land of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/348525/deathcurse

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei_neko Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Oh yes!! In the second season we get a lot more of suggestive moments with some characters.
I must say I love the pairing of Mio and Minna.
It's clear that Minna feels something really deep for Mio. Very Happy
shezaei_neko
shezaei_neko

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontianak Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:10 pm

I see the awful animation/art/fanservice has already been mentioned! But, after watching this after Seikon no Qwaser, the fanservice honestly seemed tame in comparison, so it never really bothered me. And if it does bother you, just watch the censored version.

Regardless of the appearance of yuri or not, the history nerd in my screams out with love of this series, as well as admiring the decent characters and their development. I would like it even without the subtext, since writing is always more important to me than whether or not the characters are touching boobs with each other.
Pontianak
Pontianak

http://darwin-award.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

I actually really loved this anime. The fanservice didn't bother me. I'm not going to say it's subtle...but it has it's moments >__>

I really enjoyed the military aspect of it. I have a bit of an affinity for anime with strong military aspects. (Full Metal Panic being one of my favorites)

The fact that the yuri was downplayed and not the main point made it worth watching for me. In the past it wasn't rare to find me bummed out about the lack of quality from a head on yuri anime.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontianak Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:03 am

lmfao all fanservice bothers me because it's ridiculous to have it in anime, but I've grown so used to it that no matter how bad it is, I can just ignore it.

Admittedly, I only watched Strike Witches at first for the seiyuu cast. Koshimizu Ami and Chiba Saeko? Yes, please. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I don't really watch anime solely on the basis of whether or not there's yuri without my goggles on, but I've noticed that I tend to prefer subtext rather than it being overtly stated for that exact reason.
Pontianak
Pontianak

http://darwin-award.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down