Dare You to Love Me
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive...

3 posters

Go down

The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive... Empty The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive...

Post by Blair Phoenix Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 am

The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive... 12kinds

...the first few episodes to become fans of this series. While it may have
been commonly said for many series, it is the honest to god truth that
this is one of those series that "gets better later"

Based of an actual novel series, by Fuyumi Ono, The Twelve Kingdoms
starts off with perhaps one of the most whiny, stupid, annoying female
characters I have EVER seen.That, the very generic "girl whisked to
another land" story and the long list of words you have to keep track of
to understand the Twelve Kingdoms hierarchy is enough to cause anyone
to want to drop this series like a ton of bricks.

Despite all this, it still ranks in my top favorite animes for one
simple reason. Character development. Being based off an actual novel
series and NOT a manga it is chock full of it, and the payoff for the
extremely annoying first episodes is completely worth it to see our main
protagonist actually grow from a whiney outcast japanese student to the
queen of an entire kingdom

So, anyone else out there a fan of this series? If so what do you like
about The Twelve Kingdoms? Did you have just as rough a time as me with
the first several episodes? How many of you have started and dropped the
series due to that? At any rate feel free to talk about anything here
related to The Twelve Kingdoms! ^^

Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive... Empty Re: The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive...

Post by DezoPenguin Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 pm

I have to say, I was one of those who had exactly the experience you describe. I rented the first disc, watched it, and dropped the whole thing like a giant stone. Five episodes of watching a girl who had specialness thrust upon her when all she wanted to be was normal and another girl who wanted to be special, was forced to be normal, and started to turn bitchy and evil over it was more than enough. The setting, honestly, seemed very interesting (although the "mystic link between the king and the welfare of the land" routine was overdone twenty years ago), but I couldn't get past my desire to slap the lead characters silly.
DezoPenguin
DezoPenguin

Back to top Go down

The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive... Empty Re: The Twelve Kingdoms: Only the strong willed survive...

Post by Blair Phoenix Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:43 pm

DezoPenguin wrote:I have to say, I was one of those who had exactly the experience you describe. I rented the first disc, watched it, and dropped the whole thing like a giant stone. Five episodes of watching a girl who had specialness thrust upon her when all she wanted to be was normal and another girl who wanted to be special, was forced to be normal, and started to turn bitchy and evil over it was more than enough. The setting, honestly, seemed very interesting (although the "mystic link between the king and the welfare of the land" routine was overdone twenty years ago), but I couldn't get past my desire to slap the lead characters silly.
It's actually quite good after you get to the point where the main character actually grows up. If you can stand it, I would definitely recommend trying to pick it up again and try to make it through the first arc. The payoff really is worth it in my opinion.
Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by shanejayell Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 am

DezoPenguin wrote:I have to say, I was one of those who had exactly the experience you describe. I rented the first disc, watched it, and dropped the whole thing like a giant stone. Five episodes of watching a girl who had specialness thrust upon her when all she wanted to be was normal and another girl who wanted to be special, was forced to be normal, and started to turn bitchy and evil over it was more than enough. The setting, honestly, seemed very interesting (although the "mystic link between the king and the welfare of the land" routine was overdone twenty years ago), but I couldn't get past my desire to slap the lead characters silly.

Yeah, I pretty much dropped it after seeing a bit in my anime club.

(We had a vote to continue watching. It was overwhelmingly no.)

Might see if I can track it down, if you say it improves that much....
shanejayell
shanejayell

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:35 am

shanejayell wrote:Yeah, I pretty much dropped it after seeing a bit in my anime club.

(We had a vote to continue watching. It was overwhelmingly no.)

Might see if I can track it down, if you say it improves that much....
Shame. I understand Youko is unbelievably annoying and whiney in the beginning(And then goes through a phase of being a total bitch) but seeing her grow from that to what she becomes is really amazing imo. I dunno, I guess I just tend to enjoy series that have slow starts, as it tends to equate to them really chugging along when they get moving.
Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down