Dare You to Love Me
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noir: Because someone has to make this thread

5 posters

Go down

Noir: Because someone has to make this thread Empty Noir: Because someone has to make this thread

Post by Blair Phoenix Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Noir: Because someone has to make this thread SMA-067

Oh, Noir, the beginning of the girls with guns trilogy, and the anime that indirectly introduced me to yuri.

For those living under a rock, Noir is about 2 assassins' pilgrimage to discover the truth of their pasts, one's whose parents were murdered by a mysterious organization, and the other with amnesia who apparently has ties to that organization.

Noir tends to be very hit or miss with people, from reviews I've read. The pace of the story is relatively slow, and there are at times, long stretches of time where not much is really happening. What this does cause Noir to excel at, in my opinion, is mood and tone. With the lack of dialogue, the smallest bits you do get become all the more important. I recall watching the English VA interviews, and their statements that the foley for this anime was one of the more difficult they've had to do(foley being stuff like, breathing hard, sighs, and other noises). Why? Because they couldn't half ass it, every sigh, was important, expressive, and had to emote the right kind of sentiment, and I think this really shows, that even the smallest details in Noir are important to get things across.

As for the yuri, I know there are arguments abound of the level of subtext between the 2 main characters in this series, but due to the popularity of the series to yuri fans, I feel it more appropriate here, If a mod feels otherwise, by all means feel free to move this. At the very least, we have Chloe, who I should hope no one doubts her preferences Razz.

Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Noir: Because someone has to make this thread Empty Re: Noir: Because someone has to make this thread

Post by DezoPenguin Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 am

I definitely have to count myself as one of those who quite enjoyed Noir (although I think Madlax is the best of the Bee Train "Girls with Guns" trilogy, and El Cazador de la Bruja definitely wins out as far as yuri goes), without ever noticing any yuri...

...except for Chloe. She's gone on Kirika, no doubt about it. :p

What I truly love about Noir is that the girls are genuinely Bad Ass in the truest sense of the word yet without sacrificing their integrity as characters rather than caricatures: they have their own agendas, they handle their own problems, they're lethal in a fight...yet they suffer their own pain, are burdened by their own pasts, and have to see their conflicts through to the end...yet require no external third parties (read: men*) to come bail them out.

*Unlike a lot of yuri fans, I have no problem with male characters in the story or het romance...but I loathe damsels in distress and Faux Action Girls as "heroines."
DezoPenguin
DezoPenguin

Back to top Go down

Noir: Because someone has to make this thread Empty Re: Noir: Because someone has to make this thread

Post by Blair Phoenix Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:35 am

DezoPenguin wrote:I definitely have to count myself as one of those who quite enjoyed Noir (although I think Madlax is the best of the Bee Train "Girls with Guns" trilogy, and El Cazador de la Bruja definitely wins out as far as yuri goes), without ever noticing any yuri...

...except for Chloe. She's gone on Kirika, no doubt about it. :p

What I truly love about Noir is that the girls are genuinely Bad Ass in the truest sense of the word yet without sacrificing their integrity as characters rather than caricatures: they have their own agendas, they handle their own problems, they're lethal in a fight...yet they suffer their own pain, are burdened by their own pasts, and have to see their conflicts through to the end...yet require no external third parties (read: men*) to come bail them out.

*Unlike a lot of yuri fans, I have no problem with male characters in the story or het romance...but I loathe damsels in distress and Faux Action Girls as "heroines."
I have to agree with your last statement, I just really enjoy strong female characters, and generally, when a male character is added, it tends to hamper that imo.
Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by dragontiger96 Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:49 am

Blair Phoenix wrote:I have to agree with your last statement, I just really enjoy strong female characters, and generally, when a male character is added, it tends to hamper that imo.

I think its one of those things where they believe an audience requires the male character to exist as or evolve into a strong, mature individual. The opposite happens with women when there are male characters in that they are pathetic or devolve into a pathetic individuals. I generally dislike this kind of "damsel-in-distress" syndrome.
dragontiger96
dragontiger96

Back to top Go down

Post by DezoPenguin Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 pm

dragontiger96 wrote:
Blair Phoenix wrote:I have to agree with your last statement, I just really enjoy strong female characters, and generally, when a male character is added, it tends to hamper that imo.

I think its one of those things where they believe an audience requires the male character to exist as or evolve into a strong, mature individual. The opposite happens with women when there are male characters in that they are pathetic or devolve into a pathetic individuals. I generally dislike this kind of "damsel-in-distress" syndrome.

I think culture plays a role, too...the idea of a male lead character who's weak, sensitive, etc., etc. (especially as a love interest) makes writers/producers/etc. gag (heck, just look at something like Kim Possible, where Kim, gratefully, didn't get nerfed, but Ron kept getting steady upgrades throughout the four-season run until he was the one saving the day at the end of the series). Thus Bad Writing reflexes make the mere presence of male characters be the #1 impediment to the development of good female action characters. Evil or Very Mad
DezoPenguin
DezoPenguin

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei_neko Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 pm

My....Noir....such good times. ^^

First I liked Cloe but then I was all in for Mireille.
I love the action scenes and how they really struggled sometimes to continue not really knowing where they were going.
Also their sacrifices...
It is one of my favorite series. In fact this trilogy of 'girls with guns' is awesome. I love it.
For a moment I was fooled by another series that was quite similar to these...the name was Avenger...that one left me like this-- > o.O? The fu....?
shezaei_neko
shezaei_neko

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:10 am

shezaei_neko wrote:My....Noir....such good times. ^^

I love the action scenes and how they really struggled sometimes to continue not really knowing where they were going.
Also their sacrifices...
It is one of my favorite series. In fact this trilogy of 'girls with guns' is awesome. I love it.
For a moment I was fooled by another series that was quite similar to these...the name was Avenger...that one left me like this-- > o.O? The fu....?
Ehhh I thought the other girls with guns series were both lacking in some areas. I heavily enjoyed Noir the most of hte three *nods*. And I like Kirika best...always XD. Ah well.
Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiros Razer Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Blair Phoenix wrote:
shezaei_neko wrote:My....Noir....such good times. ^^

Also their sacrifices...
Ehhh I thought the other girls with guns series were both lacking in some areas. I heavily enjoyed Noir the most of hte three *nods*. And I like Kirika best...always XD. Ah well.

Kirika is my favorite too I love her to death. XD
Noir is my most favorite and then El Cazador de la bruja then Madlax.
Yet of course I liked them all but Madlax was least favorite of the three.
Kiros Razer
Kiros Razer

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei_neko Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm

In Madlax I wanted to kill someone for doing what they did to my fav. character!!
Really, heads were about to roll.

Kirika looks too loli for me...Razz Maybe that's why I didn't like her as much as Mireille.
shezaei_neko
shezaei_neko

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm

shezaei_neko wrote:In Madlax I wanted to kill someone for doing what they did to my fav. character!!
Really, heads were about to roll.

Kirika looks too loli for me...Razz Maybe that's why I didn't like her as much as Mireille.
Kirika is more badass than Mireille, that's pretty much the only reason I like her more lol.

Madlax has some major issues...both the series and the character Razz
Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down