Dare You to Love Me
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Anime Genres

+2
Rosie
Demon
6 posters

Go down

Favorite Anime Genres Empty Favorite Anime Genres

Post by Demon Tue May 29, 2012 7:24 am

What are your favorite anime genres and why? Who knows, you might find some people with similar tastes and you can share anime titles that you think might interest one another. =)

--

I've found that I steer more towards shounen titles, ones filled with adventure and geared more towards guys. Examples of this would be One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, etc. (I've only really seen a small bit of each of the series I just listed. I like them, but they're just way too long! XD I might get back into Fairy Tail, though.)

I also like fluff, but only every once in a while. I can't really read something centered around romance for very long. (I'm even that way with fanfiction. I can't read anything where there's only romance, especially when I've been promised some semblance of action.)

I hate angsty ones. I use anime to escape from reality and enjoy adventures coming from wild imaginations; why would I want to watch a series were the important characters die?! D: Sure, it can be deep and meaningful, but that's way too depressing for me. =( I can't.
Demon
Demon
The Alter Ego

Back to top Go down

Favorite Anime Genres Empty Re: Favorite Anime Genres

Post by Rosie Thu May 31, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't generally watch anime based on genre. But when I do, it's yuri and more times than not-a disappointment.

Hmm, I hate Harem anime. That shit is annoying and obnoxious. Why do hot HOT women/teenage girls fall for the average/plain/ seemingly disappointing male? I fail to understand this attraction.

I like some mecha, but more so..military type things with girls and that is NOT shounen such as Full Metal Panic (netflix, I love you.) and Strike Witches Very Happy

I like it not shounen based because usually with the shounen anime I've seen, there's not much character development. Just action....which bores me.

If anyone can suggest GOOD shounen though or something like FMP and SW feel free Very Happy
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaeri Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

I love slice-of-life, school life and comedy. More so when all three are combined. I also like fluff, drama and romance. I'm definitely an action on the side type of girl. I can't really stand when it's the main focus most of the time.

I really dislike harem. Not too fond of yaoi either, since the tropes they use 99 percent of the time are squick. >__>
Alaeri
Alaeri
High Priestess of Shizumaism

Back to top Go down

Post by Blair Phoenix Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I like a wide variety of genres. I don't use anime/other entertainment to escape reality more than to widen my view of reality. At least, entertainment that manages to do that is what I consider to be good. I still manage to enjoy some of the simpler forms of entertainment as well though.

I will echo others in saying I dislike Harems very much, as well as anything involving love triangles. I generally avoid romance in anime in general really.
Blair Phoenix
Blair Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by DezoPenguin Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Hmm, I like a wide variety of genres, too. I enjoy science-fiction (particularly cyberpunk), fantasy (both sword-and-sorcery fantasy and Urban Fantasy--which is pretty much what My-HiME boils down to), mystery, horror (though not George Romero-version zombies), comedy, and romance. I have low tolerance for harem shows where the lead is a generic useless schlub, and I dislike love triangles, particularly love triangles where a girl picks the generic useless schlub over the attractive, intelligent, and caring bishonen). I have more tolerance for reverse harems, but not when the girl is the generic female harem protagonist (genki but terminally stupid). I enjoy slice-of-life epsiodes as a subset or a theme within a variety of genres, but
usually not as a stand-alone series, and not tug-at-your-heartstrings
shows like Air.
DezoPenguin
DezoPenguin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little-SupernovA Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Shonen and seinen for me, though I'm picky about the titles I like. If something gets too generic, it'll lose my interest. Actually, One Piece and FMA are the only popular shonen I like, though I'm also a fan of Kenichi because I like martial arts stories. I also like urban fantasy, some science-fiction (especially when it's medicine-based and combined with fantasy), some magical girl stuff, and psychological horror a la Satoshi Kon/Junji Ito. I also like slice of life when it isn't a generic schoolyard romance. A romance story has to be damn good in order for me to like it. It's why I'm generally skeptical of a lot of yaoi/yuri series as well because they all seem so formulaic. I hate harems/reverse harems UNLESS there is some kind of hook in the plot or one of the characters is especially interesting. I'm also not a fan of tearjerkers. I like tearjerk material in a larger context, but if I'm expecting it, I just can't get into it. I don't like watching/reading things with the intent of being sad.

I've recently gotten hooked on more obscure, artsy works that fall into the "seinen" category simply because they don't really fit anywhere else. So I guess seinen would be my favorite genre overall simply because it's where they stuff everything with mature storylines that can't really be grouped anywhere else. Josei stuff is also decent because that's where I find the best slice of life/romance stories. I guess my tastes have grown up a bit or something. XD

I also like pretty stuff. And satire.
Little-SupernovA
Little-SupernovA
Graphics Slave

http://little-supernova.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down